Saturday, June 09, 2007

Superman? Nah...

There are times when I need to remind myself what is important in life. That although my job, my career, provides a good income, my sole purpose is not just working. I come home from the store, usually mentally and emotionally drained. I need my fifteen minutes of decompression when I get home.

I am usually bombarded with requests from the kids as soon as I enter the door. "Neil can I get something to drink please?" "Neil, do you want to go on a walk?" "Neil can you help me with my homework?" Andrea will try to fight valiantly, yet vainly, against the surge of requests. I usually smile feeling like a drowning man gasping for his last breath as I head to the bedroom, loosening my necktie.

But I need to remind myself. These are some of the best years. I am the smartest, the fastest, the strongest, the bravest man to them. I can solve any problem. I can beat up any bad guy.

With that thought, Brandon and I headed out the door after dinner to the park. Soraya had chosen not to accompany us as she was holed up in her room. Puberty, although a subject for a later post, will be a long bumpy road for our little girl.

As we walked, ran, jumped and skipped our way to the park I felt rejuvenated. How can a little boy, only eight-years old, give me so much strength, yet at times sap me of every ounce of energy left in me? The boy of a million questions. We shoved each other playfully, we raced, he won.

I watched him run around the play structure oblivious to anything but the play at hand. The sun slowly sank as we both hung from the monkey bars. As twilight lingered and the stars began to appear, I gave Brandon the bad news that it was time to go home. I was greeted with the usual, "Awww, five minutes more...please?" Yeah, I could give him five as we ran around the jungle gym one last time.

These are definitely some of the best days of my life...