Friday, June 01, 2007

Mistaken Identities

It a well established fact that I love my morning coffee. It doesn't matter how hot the day will be, I need my java in the a.m.! I take a travel cup with me every day I make my way over Highway 17, through the Santa Cruz Mountains. No, I don't get a lot of sipping between the curves of the road, but it's comforting to know it's there when I want it.

My day started as usual. Make coffee, turn on computer, drink coffee, get kids up, get Neil out the door. Blah, blah, blah. Just the usual work morning.

After getting dressed I poured my travel coffee into my silver thermal mug. Yep, almost ready to go. Straighten my tie, pull my lunch out of the refrigerator (yep, still doing that!), tie my shoes, the usual stuff. Walked out to my car to get yesterday's cup. Grabbed the red cup, a present from my kids, and walked back in. Said goodbye to everyone, reached for my cup of joe and out the door I raced.

It was in the 50's this morning and the mug of coffee sitting in the Xterra's cup holder looked mighty tasty. As the trees zoomed by, I hit a straight patch of highway. Cool!...I can take a sip of coffee. I grabbed the cool exterior of the red thermal mug and lifted it to my lips. Tipping the mug I took my first morning travel sip.

What the?!!! It's ice cold?!!! Wait a second...red thermal mug?!!!

In my haste to get on the road I had mistakenly grabbed the mug that had been sitting in my car for two days. Now, I'm one of those psychotic coffee drinkers who can drink day-old coffee. Maybe it's not at it's peak in flavor after sitting around for eight hours, but it's still Juan Valdez's best. But two days?! Even I have my limits. And it was cold, ice-cold.

My work day was getting off to a miserable start. Lesson learned take special attention that I am grabbing the correct mug. Caffeine levels at a dangerous low.