Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Cornucopia Of Senior Stuff

My thoughts are all over the place currently, so bear with me...

How cool was it that one of my teenage favorite bands, Journey, played such an integral part of the final scene of the Sopranos? "Some will win, some will lose, some were born to sing the blues...oh the movie never ends, it goes on and on and on..." Thank you Tony Soprano for putting your coins in the jukebox and picking that tune! The last voice we heard was that of Steven Perry's singing, "Don't stop!..."

Score one for Neil and his cheesy music!

My friend Shawn invited me to go see the Police. You know, "de-doo-doo-doo, de-da-da-da, is all I want to say to you." Somehow the idea of seeing guys who should be soon seeing social security checks in their mail rocking out is unsettling. But I am excited none the less...

Were these guys cool before their golden years?

When growing up I would always grumble when washing the dishes at my parents' house. As my parents grew up in the Depression Era and also were interned, they were and are extremely frugal. They would have us recycle the plastic produce bags by washing them out and then hanging the bags to dry in the garage. On occasion, being the bratty kid I was, I would "accidentally" put a hole in one while washing it, therefore it was useless to continue washing the bag.

Another thing that used to annoy me was my father's regimented way of putting the dishes in the dishwasher. He would chastise me when I would put my dirty dishes in incorrectly. Dude...it's a dishwasher, does it really matter?...

So what does matter to the present?...

Instance number one. I put a bunch of presliced watermelon in a gallon zip lock bag. When I removed the last wedge from the bag, I had a great idea. If I washed it out, I could use it to store tools, or toys or something. Hey...this sounds vaguely familiar?!

Instance number two. I opened our dishwasher this morning to load a couple more bowls into it. I noticed with a bit of annoyance that Andrea had loaded it "incorrectly". Now who makes the official rules in dishwasher loading is beyond me...however, in my tiny flea-like brain, that person would be me. Grumbling I rearranged the dishes "appropriately". Wait a second, where have I heard that before?!

Now THAT'S a good looking load!

Egads...I'm becoming my father. Although in many ways that is a good thing. However, all those annoying things that I used to dread, I AM NOW DOING! What the on Earth? I guess the fruit indeed does not fall far from the tree!