Monday, January 15, 2007

Tacos And A Bucket Of KFC

My dad has told this tale several times to us, his children.

We were on one of our long road trips, up North I believe, when we stopped at one of our fabulous motels that my dad favored. I would like to think it was at one of my preferred youthful destinations the Thunderbird motel. We were all hungry and being the dutiful father, my dad went and got the family some fast food.

Now, keep in mind, my dad will not eat chicken. It has something to do with being raised on a chicken farm and seeing hundreds of chickens being beheaded on a fairly consistent basis. I guess he will never be sending the Colonel Christmas cards.

So my dad came back with a bucket of KFC for the family and a couple of tacos for himself. Needless to say the kids scarfed up the tacos leaving my dad with...well, who knows. That is the part that my dad doesn't really elaborate about. But being the good dad, he never complained about it...although he would recant this tale many times over to his grown brood. Hmmm, long term anger?

What does this have to do with anything? As I inhaled the sugary scent of the mug of hot chocolate in my hands last night, I felt a presence watching me. I looked down to my left and there was Brandon. "Can I have some hot chocolate Neil?" he asked.

Smiling, I gave him my mug. Being the good boy, Brandon said he would wait for me to make more. I insisted he take mine and that I could wait. Although there was more cocoa to be made (unlike my dad who was left with a bucket of KFC), I felt a common bond with my father. Sometimes the apple indeed doesn't fall too far from the tree. I'd like to think I inherited this trait from my father.

Well, this was supposed to be a good week for me. I'm taking a few days off from work to focus on Project Discovery. Unfortunately, after weeks of dodging those little germies that plague my work, I am sick. I felt it coming on New Years eve, but was able to get rest and recover. This time I could not avoid it. My Purell finally failed me. I guess I should be happy that I never got sick during the crush of the holiday season!

But this was the week that I was going to break through the plateau! I was going to lose two more pounds this week. Although this is just a head cold, I don't want it wandering into my lungs. Thus, I need to take it easy. Things I inherited from my parents:
  • Weak lungs
  • Bad joints
  • High blood pressure
Thanks guys....

So Dayquil it is...I'm stuck at four pounds lost.