Friday, December 22, 2006

Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto

I have never understood the general expectation of giving Christmas gifts at work. I get it when you truly are appreciative of your coworker, subordinates or boss, but I feel like gift giving has become an expectation. That if one does not give a gift, it's professionally bad.

What is worse is when there is a monetary expectation attached to gift giving. I remember one incident where a staff member stated that what we were giving would disappoint our then boss and that we needed to give more. What the Hell?!!! What happened to, "It's the thought that counts..."?

When I first started my current assignment, within a month I announced to my Human Resources manager, that I did not expect, nor want a Christmas gift. I know what retail pays. Trust me, none of us are purely in retail just for the money. I would rather my managers spend their money on their family, friends or themselves.

Unfortunately they did not listen to me.

Now I am very appreciative of my staff's gift. Actually, I am VERY appreciative. They knew that as I have grown older, I have had the regret that I did not speak Japanese. The language of my heritage. So they got me "the in the car" CD lesson, very cool...yeah, it is definitely the thought that counts here!

Sadly, I think the only Japanese phrase that sticks in my head is from Styx. Remember that song from 1983? "Domo ariagato, Mr. Roboto, domo..." Okay, I admit, I purchased Kilroy Was Here and actually went to the subsequent concert.

Hey, it was cool back in the early 80's! Anyhow, is Britney, Lohan or any of the other bimbettes better?! I think not! At least these guys could play their own instruments! Oh yeah, old fart rant!

Anyhow, I am always very humbled about receiving gifts. I do not ever want it to be an expectation. It is exactly what it is, a gift. Thanks guys, I'll try to be a great boss.

Domo arigato Mr. Roboto...domo...