Monday, December 18, 2006

Yo Adrienne!

I am into good sports films. They do not need to necessarily be dramas such as Hoosiers to get my fancy. Sometimes they can be silly comedies such as Slap Shot or Caddyshack. Both were hilarious movies. But with success in sports films, come the dreaded sequel.

Weighing in at an incredible fifth sequel is Rocky Balboa! Now living at the senior citizens' home spending his days playing bingo, Rocky is given the chance to take on the reigning heavyweight champ, Mason "The Line" Dixon. The tagline is "It ain't over 'til it's over." Please dear Lord, let it be over.

It is amazing to think that the original Rocky won the Academy Award for Best Movie in 1976. I just recently watched Rocky and it is still a great film. It is gritty, dirty and feels like the street. Where did it all go wrong? Although a little silly at times, the best parts of the film are not the fight scenes (Unless you count the opening scene with Spider Rico...very gritty!)

One of my favorite scenes is when Rocky opens his locker at Micky's gym to find cut outs of photos from an Ebony-type magazine. "You put my stuff on skid row? I been in that locker six years; you put my stuff in a bag on skid row?" Love it.

Anyhow, speaking of heavy weights, it's weigh-in time for Project Discovery. Weighing in at a shocking 151 lbs...arggghhh!!! I lost a little momentum there. Granted my weight goes all over the place, however...

Rocky Balboa opens Wednesday, December 20.