Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Name's Mayer, Oscar Mayer

I just came upon a blog that made me feel like such a weenie. It made my measly goal of eight pounds seem like a trivial pursuit. After reading this particular blog, I felt like if I do not complete and exceed Project Discovery I should be banned from my bike forever, stripped of my lycra and forced into ratty gym clothes to forever toil my way in a spin class.

Muffy the over active, over cheerful leader will guide us through our workout as Abba on steroids is pumped through the stereo system. Yep, if I don't complete Project Discovery, I am banished to Hell...other wise known as spin classes...

Who am I speaking of?

On his blog (http://theamazingshrinkingman.spaces.live.com/) he lists his name as Tom Stormcrowe. (Stormcrowe?!...okay, I can get a little glee that he chose that name as his alias. Er, unless that is his real name, then I must eat crowe yet again!) This guy is a stud! A STUD!!! Why do I claim such adoration for a person I just read about?

At the worst point of his life he had ballooned out to 581 pounds! That's almost four times my weight! He had become so obese that he was on oxygen because his lungs could not maintain the massive needs of his body. Tom (I can't bring myself to use Stormcrowe) was wheelchair bound as his knees could not take the abuse of supporting a quarter ton of human.


This is what 581 pounds of human looks like!

In the past year Tom has dropped to 229 pounds. That's over two of me falling off of him! Way to go Tom!!! In addition he no longer needs the oxygen or the wheelchair. Wow that is truly amazing!

What I particularly love is that nowhere on his blog does Tom claim to be a victim. He is ADAMANT that he has choices in life. His belief is that the only way anyone can achieve something important is to choose to do it, rather than saying I must or I need. Now he and his wife are riding the Tour de Cure in July. That is the ride for the American Diabetes Association.

This is what success looks like!