Thursday, January 04, 2007

A 180 Degree Turn


So I was ready to post what a great day at work I had. That I felt the past couple of days I felt I really made a difference in some of my managers' lives...

Then I am informed that Brandon, age 8, has been making fun of some of the learning challenged students at his school. Believe it or not, that really made me sad. A boy whom I think the world of did something so cruel.

I know little kids can be really cruel to one another, but I am not raising Soraya and Brandon to pick on others. I have always maintained that I don't care if either are the most popular, I just didn't want them picked on. Little did I realize that Brandon would be the one doing the bullying...I was crushed.

The hard part is teaching Brandon that was he did was horribly wrong, but that I still love him with all my heart. Does he understand that I will forgive him, yet what he did was a cowardly act? When is Brandon just trying to make me feel guilty for punishing/lecturing him on why what he did was bad? And when is he genuinely feeling like he is no longer loved or supported?

Yeah, I'm really disappointed. I know that Brandon's really a good kid. It's just how do I ensure that he stays a good kid?

P.S. - Once again the wonderful illustration above is from www.pascalcampion.com