Monday, January 29, 2007

Sixteen Ounces

The thing about getting older, it isn't really about the decline in physical abilities. I can handle some of that, as intelligent training is able to lessen the deterioration of my speed and my ego has come to grips that I probably cannot keep up with the 30-year-old cycling stud.

What aging really is about is the recovery. I wake up these days with pains in spots that I did not know even existed. My body seems to creak from the previous day's events, when a few years ago it would not have been a second thought.

My right elbow aches from a work out that I had over a month ago! Not the type of pain that sears, but a slow throb that only exists when I lift something too heavy. The tendons of my knees scream in misery after a relatively short ride. I never knew that my back hurt when riding my road bike for a short 20 miles. Why does the arch of my foot throb so, after a day's work?

Yet, I am not one to take many pills in my day in day out routine. I would rather suffer through some minor aches and pains than fill my blood stream with self-induced chemicals. I believe this is a nod to my Ted Kaczynski side of thinking. We have become a society that is way too reliant on pills, capsules and vaccines. I want my body's own defense mechanisms to be stronger, not held back by drugs. Anyhow, when I ache it gives me an excuse to be grouchy!

So here I sit, entering today's post. My knees throb a bit, my neck is sore from constantly peering up from my bent position on my road bike. I have begun to be more aggressive in my excercise, as lifestyle change (diet) can only take me so far...today's Project Discovery weigh-in? 145.6 pounds!...I'm going to round up and say I have 16 ounces to lose in one week. ONE POUND, one week. I can do it!