Saturday, November 11, 2006

Grace Under Pressure

Wow...it's getting to feel like the holidays!!! I just had my first two really nasty customers.

The first customer jumped down my poor associate's throat when the customer asked her how much a pair of jeans were (the tag had fallen off.) The associate stated that she believed that they were about $98, but would check for her. The customer then berated my associate about the customer's need for an exact price.

She then found me and then went into a diatribe about how she is a business person and owns several businesses. She also stated that she has managed facilities much larger then my store...lady, have some class and realize I don't really care about your wealth, only if my associate was rude or not. I hate when alleged wealthy customers feel that they should be treated any nicer than those who have less money. Yeah, yeah...I know I'm in the business to make money, however, I believe we need to treat everyone like gold!

The second customer found me to complain that her check had been declined and that my associate was terribly rude. She and her daughter (granny and mom) began to tell me that they are well connected in the community and that they would take us down. Granny began to tell me how rich she was and that I would be sorry about this incident.

While I left the "ladies" to find some phone numbers that they requested, they created quite a scene in my Gift Wrap department. Other customers were rolling their eyes when I went back out to try to placate them. Later I discovered that the classless daughter had called my associate, "dirty J** b****!!!" (rhymes with do witch) Had I known that initially, I probably would have ended the conversation right then and there.

By the way...the associate, who is not Jewish (not there is anything wrong with being Jewish, just for clarification), is one of my newer associates who receives many on-line compliments. Was she flustered? Absolutely. Was she rude? I highly doubt it.

So why I am telling you this? As you know I am a retailer...but please try to remember these customer "rules" when you are shopping during this busy holiday season:
  1. The sales associates really are people. Trying to insult or emotionally hurt them doesn't solve anything.
  2. Grace under pressure. I never get angry with clerks if they are working hard. It's not their fault if they are understaffed.
  3. It's busy! It's the holidays, it's going to be busy. The stores may add staffing, but they rarely add many more registers. You are going to wait in line.
  4. The stores hire newbies for the holidays...they're trying. Your screaming at them isn't making them go faster.
  5. Just because one is the customer, that doesn't give one the right to treat others like dirt.
Hey...we'll try to do our part by working hard and trying to give the best service. Can you do yours?