Monday, October 30, 2006

Pumpkin Psych 101

I love Halloween...

I remember as a little kid dressing up in all sort of cool costumes only to have my mom insist that I wear a coat! The cool factor of my costume went plummeting. Luckily, those were the days when kids could actually go out at night by themselves without a care. So that coat quickly came off and thrown into a bush to be picked up later.

Carving pumpkins was a special delight. Knives and the chance to perform a lobotomy was great fun for a little boy! I would take great care and hope that my jack o' lantern would survive the night. It would be great relief the following morning that jack did not succumb to the boot of a testosterone laden teen. After Halloween, we would leave my sister's and my creations out for awhile and I would watch in fascination as the faces would slowly droop.


To this day, my jack o' lanterns tend to have sort of a growling expression. And, as I carved the kids' pumpkins to their specifications, I wondered, "Do the expressions mean anything?" Is what one carves into an inanimate object an extension of one's personality?

Brandon's Jack had a big toothy grin, while Soraya's had a scary frown. Now Soraya claimed that she noticed that Brandon's had a smile and she wanted hers to be different. However, for some reason I'm not buying it. Big sister has never been shy about enforcing her will upon her poor little brother.

Soraya has always been the more serious of the two. While both are amazing and wonderful children, she has definitely been the one taking life much more seriously. I remember when my friends Shawn and Joe first met Soraya. She was very insistent with them on how one was to play with her dolls.

Brandon? Well, let's just say that this kid takes computer games seriously and that's about it. He is all about fun. But maybe that's just a little boy thing. He always has a grin, even when things aren't going so great.

Both awesome kids...but what do those pumpkins mean?

Hmmm...pumpkin psychology...