Monday, October 23, 2006

A Fabulous Day


I love Fall...

I always have loved the changing seasons. Spring is fabulous, but I adore Fall. And our little secret here in the Bay Area is that Fall is some of the best times at the ocean. The fog no longer haunts our shorelines and gives way to glorious sunshine.

Soraya was going with her friend to the school carnival and I decided Brandon and I would give Andrea a little down time. The two boys headed to the beach.

One thing about living in San Jose is our close proximity to the beach. Okay, we could be closer by actually living in Capitola or Santa Cruz, but did you know that the Santa Cruz area is more expensive to live in than San Francisco?...neither did I! Over 20,000 workers make the daily commute to the Silicon Valley over the pass each day. But I digress, I love the fact that it only takes a little over half an hour to have our toes curling in the sand.

So there B-boy-deluxe and I were, running through the chilly surf. The day was spectacular as there was barely a cloud in the sky. Pelicans grazed the surface of the ocean searching for delicious fish to pluck from the sea. Surfers, black in their wetsuits, road the waves as they pummeled the shoreline. Beautiful.

Now there was one thing that was not so beautiful. There were not too many people on this beach, but of the men in their 30's-40's all of them were soft around the middle. And the bad thing about swimwear, much like lycra, accentuates any roll one might possess. Egads it was a bad scene at the beach, when it came to the older men. The younger guys, without an ounce of fat on them, made us geezers look really bad!

To make things even worse for yours truly was I was playing with scrawny boy himself. To put it into perspective, Brandon does not even make it into his age's weight percentile! He is light as a feather. We worry that people will think that we do not feed him. However if one were to see him scarfing down the Quarter Pounder and fries later... Yep, B was making me look really bad. Thus, I needed to kick water all over him. Yeah...that'll teach him to be sooo skinny!

Brandon and I spent the afternoon running in the waters of the Pacific as the sun sparkled off it's waves. I watched in disgust as he made a million flies zoom away as he threw a rock at some drying kelp on the beach. He was brave as the waves pounded his legs, nearly knocking him over. Don't worry Andrea, I was right next to him.

A truly fabulous day with my favorite boy in all the world...

Later, we sighed in contentment as we ate our burgers on the floor of my office. Brandon had asked if we could eat our lunch in my office. Kids... I asked him if we had a great day and he replied with a smile and a hug.