Monday, October 09, 2006

Monday...

Ahhh Mondays...after a weekend of soccer, honey-do's, two-wheeled fun (yay, Neil got out on his bike this weekend) and other various stuff, it's back to work. So here I sit at my computer, stopping to sip Peet's finest, wondering what the day ahead has in store for me.

A little side moment. I prefer Peet's over Starbucks. Why? It's the smaller guy trying to compete with the mothership. Now you may say, "Isn't that hypocritical, as you work for the mega-retailer now that has bought out tons of storied businesses?"

Yeah, well I like Peets...

This is a time of change in retail. October is the official start of the, collective groan, holiday season. You can feel it in the air. There is a distinct chill that wasn't there a few weeks ago. Although Northern California will still hit 80's, at night, a nice cup of hot chocolate is not so out of line.

Now, before you all roll your eyes in disgust and state how you remember when the holidays did not start until after Thanksgiving, understand...IT'S YOUR FAULT!!! This is what I love about retail. It is very democratic and the customer votes with her money. (Okay guys, before you get your panties in a bunch, the main money comes from women...) The customer has stated that she wants Christmas now.

Some of you have asked how can I stand the holiday season. I actually love it. I may groan a bit from the long hours, but to me this is a magical time of the year. I believe in the spirit of Christmas, or whatever one may believe in. I believe in giving...in family...in friends...

I think it's the kid in me that loves the wonder. Nothing is better than seeing the amazement in a young child's eyes at this time of year. They believe that magic does happen. The warmth, the scent cinnamon and spice filling the air.

So what if the holidays arrive a little early? If it can remind us of something good...is that bad?