Sunday, September 24, 2006

To The Ends Of The Earth...


The kid's asked me to go ice skating and Andrea weaseled out of going. So off to the local rink we went. The three of us. I dreaded going. I knew that Soraya could barely skate and Brandon? It was going to be a long night.

We rented our skates that I'm sure were filled with funk from a thousand plague infested pairs of feet. I strapped them to the kids' feet (and mine) and bravely we headed to the slick ice.

Soraya quickly scooted into the rink and shuffled her way around the ice. Brandon immediately grabbed the railing on the sides and clung on for dear life. He and I slowly made our way around the rink.

The first time around the ice took Brandon and me 30 minutes...yes, one half an hour. But he mustered up the courage and continued to muddle along the boards. I looked up and saw Soraya scuttling stiffly, yet quickly, with the circling herd of ice skaters. My little girl becoming more independent. I smiled...

About the third time around...yes, much later...Brandon looked up to me and stated, "I wish you were my real father..." What does one do with that?! Yes, I was extremely proud that my boy would say that. However, I have never been one to try to come between the kids and their father. What do I do with that?...

Some wonder why Finding Nemo is one of my favorite films. It's a children's film?! Why would a so-called grown man, list a film about cartoon fish as one of his all-time faves?

The main reason it reminds me what I would do if one of the kids were taken from us. I would go to the ends of the Earth to find them. I would do anything. I would go anywhere. It is about a child growing up and a father not wanting to let go. It is about wanting to protect one's kid, but realizing he (or she) needs to eventually find their own way.

Which brings us back to Brandon's wish...

...what do I do with Brandon's wish?...

I smiled and said, "I'm always here for you Brandon, that's all that matters..."

The night ended and I was glad I went skating with Soraya and Brandon. Like every night, I whispered into the kids' ears as they were falling asleep, "I love you and always will..."