Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Fifth Anniversary

Okay...I admit, I was nervous. I was to fly this coming September 11th to Cincinnati for a store manager training. For those of you who have lost track, or have tried to forget, this will be the fifth annivesary of the terror attack on New York and the Pentagon. I was scheduled to be at about 30,000 feet in a metal tube.

*WHEW!!!*

At the last moment, someone in training had emailed me stating that because I was a store manager in 2001...yep five years ago...I did not need to attend the training in Ohio. Although I tried to be nonchalant about the whole flying on 9/11 thing, I admit now that I was nervous.

So, the fifth anniversary of September 11th approaches...The September 11th...I wonder how we, as a nation, will recognize the date. 8:46 a.m., Eastern Time, September 11, 2001, American Airlines flight 11 impacts the North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York. How will we remember?

I make this entry into my blog on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. The Nation honors the worker. Yet, I look towards a day just over a week from this Saturday. Many take time to enjoy the dying days of summer, yes I was one of those, but do we realize that this historic date approaches?

Two films have recently been at your local metroplexes that have garnered much press as they are portrayals of the events of September 11, United 93 and World Trade Center. Those along with Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 drew volumes of press. However, one documentary about the events that day deserves great praise. I fully recommend Nine Innings From Ground Zero. It is a HBO documentary about the days following the attack and how baseball helped heal a bit of New York.

Although a bit heavy handed at times and as an Oakland Athletics fan I get to relive Jeremy Giambi's inability to slide over and over again, I really thought this was a wonderful film. It was not about vengeance, nor did it even acknowledge the evil that did these horrible things. Nine Innings was about resolve, about moving on. Do not think that this is about baseball alone, because it is not. The moving recollections are woven into the late days of the Yankees' run to the World Series. It does make me smile each time I watch it...

The fifth anniversary approaches...the world has changed dramatically since that day. Nine Innings From Ground Zero...maybe it does not get the recognition, but take a moment to watch this and enjoy...