Monday, September 18, 2006

Awesome!...Totally Awesome!!!

It's funny how things seem to naturally collide in life. Take for example my friend Brian who just attended our shared '80-'81 reunion. I myself have skillfully been able to avoid every single one of my highschool reunions. However a week later he updated me on anyone I might have known.

Tom K. is now married and has a "shared" last name with his wife...that's very Berkeley...and from what I understand so is Tom...

Eddie M. is now a very busy sound engineer...he was one of the four guys that played in a band around town...sadly the other three are doing gigs in dingy taverns locally...

These guys are all dead...those guys likewise...well that's a reunion killer...no pun intended...yep, I'm glad that I decided to keep my string of no attendances alive!

And just recently I viewed Fast Times At Ridgemont High again. Okay, definitely not high art. But, if one graduated from highschool in the early 80's, this film was definitely a fairly accurate portrayal of highschool, unfortunately...

Although some have told me I was somewhat popular back then, I think I fell in the Mark Ratner category. You know, the guy who bought $40 worth of film from the girl at the Fotomat and didn't even speak to her. Yeah, that would be Neil in highschool...

Now before you click to another website as this is totally killing grey matter, consider who appeared in this celluloid classic:
  • Sean Penn - Jeff Spicoli
  • Jennifer Jason Leigh - Stacy Hamilton
  • Judge Reinhold - Brad Hamilton
  • Ray Walston - Mr. Hand
  • Phoebe Cates - Linda Barrett
  • Forest Whitaker - Charles Jefferson
  • Eric Stolz - Stoner Bud (that's the credit on IMDB)
  • Nicolas Cage (Coppola) - Stoner Bud
  • Anthony Edwards - Stoner Bud
Hey!...not bad! There's some respectable names in there! Now I don't feel so ridiculous owning this one in my DVD collection. Hey...is Andrea rolling her eyes?!!!

So for a little stroll down memory lane, head to Blockbuster, or order Fast Times on Netflix. But be forewarned...check who is in the room watching the film when you hear Jackson Browne singing Somebody's Baby.