Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Ghost In The Machine

So this morning I got to work at my usual time. I proceeded to punch in my code so I could enter. It was before we were open, so we needed to keep the building secure...

...after flipping on the lights to my office, I sat down to my desk and turned on my computer. Entering my code to allow me access to my computer, I sipped on my steaming cup of Starbucks' finest while it buzzed and whirred while loading.

Finally the electric box on my desk was ready. I typed in my code to unlock the numbers from the day prior. Hey!...another good day...great! Quickly I entered my passcode so I could read my email messages from my corporate partners. Arggghhh...30 new email messages since leaving last night?!

I was oblivious to the red blinking light on my phone. I sipped my java and noticed the pulsing message notification. One more gulp and I pressed my secret combination to unlock my voicemail. Ahhh...it was my boss congratulating me on the great business...

I paused...

In the span of 30 minutes I had entered five different passcodes. That is not to mention the passcode to look at our service scores, my passcode to our corporate personnel website, the code to the office door (which is different from the code to get in the building), and the pin number to access the register. Add on to those my pin number for my ATM card, my passcode to my cell phone voicemail, my password for my email account...lordy...I have a password even for this lame blog!!!

Maybe Ted Kaczynski was right?!!!...okay, not the bombing part...but the too much technology part...geez, I'm crazy, but not Kazynski crazy!

All this information was supposed to make my life easier! Okay, there are many pluses...like I get to corrupt the fine people wasting their time reading this diatribe...or that ESPN now has 2o million channels and that I can watch people playing poker nonstop...or that with Google Earth I have one more thing to obsess over...satellite stalking!!!

However...

My brain at times feels like it's reached its memory capacity. I need to purge old files to fit in the endless streams of data flying at me from every corner of my existence.

FYI...BTW...ASAP...OMG...LOL...

English people, English!!! Well that is if you are trying to communicate with me. I watch my kids playing on the computer or video games and I need to force them to go outside and play. FORCE THEM?!!! I don't want to sound like that guy who used to walk 10 miles to school in the snow with no shoes, but...

Hmmm...maybe that crazy guy from Lincoln, Montana was on to something...