Friday, September 29, 2006

My iPod DNA Sample

If you look on my profile, you will notice that my favorite music states, "A sign of aging is when one's car radio is tuned to A.M. radio." Sadly, I find as I drive to work and around town, I am listening to more Sport Talk and News radio.

However, if one is looking for another clue to someone's age, take a look at what is on his or her iPod. As I listen to KNBR during my commute, the radio host will on occasion ask a guest what is on the guest's iPod. This has become a cultural phenomena, what is on your iPod is a fingerprint about you. (Okay...before anyone has a hissy-fit because I am only referring to iPods, let's face it, iPods are becoming like Kleenex's. It is actually a facial tissue, but we all call it a Kleenex!) No two iPods musical libraries are alike (actually that is because the software will not allow much sharing...)

When I look into Andrea's iPod, she has all the cool and latest artists. Generally, she is what is keeping me barely in the 21st century music-wise. Andrea rolls her eyes and scrunches her nose in disdain when she looks through my iPod's musical offerings. Even Soraya and Brandon try not to listen when I play my iPod through my car's stereo.

I thought I was cool when I admitted to really liking Coldplay. Hey, I have both their cd's on my iPod! I'm relevent! I'm hip! I'm cool! I'm listening to a girl's band?!!! What the?!!! Andrea didn't tell me that when I was professing my love for Mr. Gwyneth Paltrow! (Why does a Joe Dirt reference seem so appropriate right about now? "I'm a rocker through and through. Here's a list of my favorite bands: AC/DC, Van Halen not Van Hagar, Skynyrd, Def Leppard...")

Sadly, when one looks through my iPod's library, it does harken back to the days when mullets ruled the Earth. When a guy could wear spandex pants and be tough. STOP!!! Stop taking that moment to ponder what I looked like wearing those pants and having that do! Although I did have the cool double earring on the left earlobe thing going on, and my hair tended to be long, I never sported a mullet, nor did spandex ever touch my loins...I waited for cycling to don the spandex...

So...let's take a look at some of the "artists" on my iPod...
  • Coldplay - Damn...I thought I was cool...
  • Van Halen/Hagar - I knew I was old when I heard VH playing in a doctor's office...
  • Queen - Could you really be tough listening to these guys? But Freddy could wear that ballet unitard with the best of them!
  • The Boomtown Rats - Hey...I can be proud of these guys!!! No mullets and deep into the skinny-tie movement.
  • Jefferson Starship - This is sort of one of those Van Halen not Hagar moments...not the "Starship" songs, more the early 80's version.
  • Poison - Ahhh yes...mullets do rule!!!
  • Rush - For all the guys not cool enough to rock to Metallica, but thought they were above "average" mullet rock...
  • Styx, Journey, REO Speedwagon - Okay...these bands were definitely NOT tough or cool...but we would always argue, "But they are really good musicians!!!"
  • Eagles - The educated, less moonshine, version of Lynyrd Skynrd...
  • Def Leppard - I have them on my iPod, but for some reason I always skip them when they appear on my shuffle song mode.
  • Metallica - I feel my testosterone levels rising...
Well, there you have it. They say the first step to curing a problem is admitting you have the problem. My name is Neil and I like mullet rock...