Sunday, November 05, 2006

What Happens In Denver...(part 1)


...Stays in Denver...

Well I just got back from a three day excursion to the lovely Mile High City. I, along with many of my California peers, were sent to Colorado to help acclimate our Rocky Mountain counterparts into our company. Now you would think retail is retail...egads, these poor people have sooo much to learn!

My trek east started with Neil fleeing out the door of his house only an hour and 15 minutes before his plane's departure time. Yeah, yeah...we're supposed to be at the airport at least an hour prior to departure...

Unfortunately I had forgotten that long term parking at San Jose International is a million miles from the actual terminals! So after the longer than anticipated drive to the airport and the bus ride from the distant parking lot, there I stood in line at the United check in area 30 minutes prior to take off.

The sign stated that they will not check in luggage after 40 minutes prior to scheduled departure...nope, that would not do!

As the line crawled slowly forward I noticed that a family was trying to check in at one of the computerized kiosks. Their cart was spilling over with all their luggage. In frustration they circumvented the line and went directly to an agent, who was already with another passenger. What the?!!!

Hey now! I don't care that you are running late to your flight! So am I!

Yep, didn't make my mood any better. Funny how lousy situations that I create always seem to be the worst types.

Finally, FINALLY, I get to the front of the line. 20 minutes before take off. I look to the agent and tell her that my flight leaves shortly and I need her to check my baggage. Nope...she's not going to do it! I ask to see a supervisor. He is one position over.

"Listen," I tell Abu the supervisor, "I was here 40 minutes in line, but it took 20 minutes to get through this line. Had I known that I could have cut in front like that family, I would have!" Okay, I know, I know...I was in line 30 minutes not 40, but I'm an American, it's not my fault!!!

At this point I must commend Abu the check in supervisor. He quickly took my bag and handed me a claim stub. No argument. No lecture. THANK YOU ABU OF UNITED AIRLINES IN SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA!!!

I ran to the security line. The airline gods were plotting against me as there was only two metal detectors working. At that point I became a pleading, sniveling slob. "May I go ahead of you my flight leaves in 15 minutes..." Hey, maybe the airline gods were being forgiving as the entire line let me go ahead and they were actually encouraging me to get to my flight! I never knew that I could whip off my shoes, belt and other metal items that fast!

I became O.J. in the old Hertz commercials. Hertz O.J....the one running and cutting through the airport, not "If the glove does not fit, you must acquit" O.J.

Out of breath, I made it to my flight...five minutes to spare (yes they were preparing to close doors...)

Part 2 later...