Tuesday, June 19, 2007

It's The Heart That Really Matters

"Look, I'm sorry your life turned out so bad. But don't blame me! You messed it up yourself. You just focused on the bad stuff when all you had to do was... let go of the past and keep moving forward..."
- Lewis
"Hmm, let's see... take responsibility for my own life or blame you? Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding! Blame you wins hands down!"
- Bowler Hat Guy


So my tastes in films at times can be a little, how would one say?...er...immature. That's why one of my all time favorite movies is Finding Nemo. And that's why today, along with a little sadness, I am posting about Meet The Robinsons.

Actually, it's also because today is the day I fly the Soraya and Brandon to Las Vegas for their summer visit with their father. Because of some unexpected planning snafus they will be gone for eight weeks...EIGHT WEEKS!!! Yeah, yeah...you can try to put the positive spin on this by saying it will give Andrea and I grown up time, more cycling, able to watch R-rated DVD's during the day, etc....none the less...I am blue...indigo...deeply blue...

I an a big, HUGE, GARGANTUAN, believer in kids. I think kids rule! Kids are awesome and I love the fact that I have the privilege to corrupt...uh...I mean guide...Soraya and Brandon.


It's the reason why I loved Meet The Robinsons, that the film was about an orphaned boy, Lewis, trying to find his mother and his quest to have a true family. I think that is also why I loved Nemo so much, I have a soft spot for kids and their longings for families. Both films are about what parents will do for their kids and children's need for love.

That's all I have ever wanted for Soraya and Brandon. Sure I want them to have a good life, for them to grow into adults and have happy lives, but at the core, I want them to feel loved. I want them to know that whatever happens, I have their backs.

Meet The Robinsons is the first computer graphics animated film not made by Pixar that I truly loved. Okay one could argue that it was a Disney film and Disney now owns Pixar, but this piece of celluloid was not made in Emeryville...so there! Someone at Disney figured out that what makes Pixar films so good is not the animation, but the story and to actually make characters that one could care about.

Go see Meet The Robinsons (or rent the DVD)...it will make you chuckle...not all films need to have deep meaning...

Soraya and Brandon...have fun in Las Vegas. Be safe. It's okay to love your father. I will miss you guys fiercely...

Labels: , , , , ,