Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Musical Früt

Many people have asked me how my food consumption has changed since I began Project Discovery. The first thing I comment is that I have reverted back to when I was single and food was a source of fuel, rather than an object of desire. My dinners used to consist of a block of tofu, or a can of tuna fish.

Another thing that I have changed greatly is the way I snack. Chips and other naughty "foods" are readily available to me at my job. Prior to my lifestyle reversion, a bag of chips would find its way to my desk on a daily basis.

I must credit my friend Shawn for inspiration, as now fruits and vegetables are plentiful in my lunch (Oh yeah, I have cut out buying lunch, as I can fully control my fuel if I make my own lunch!) A bag of carrots, an apple or two, some oranges...yum! No more Doritos for me!...instead a luscious blood orange.

Unintended consequences...whenever one does something, there are usually unintended consequences. Little did I realize that with the increase of fruit in my diet, came an undesired side effect, especially with apples.

Did you know that left over fructose from that apple you ate could ferment in your large intestines creating a mini-Krakatoa? Neither did I! Actually apples are near the top of the list for being unkind to one's intestines. Who knew?! I didn't realize that I had the Miller Brewing Company in my belly!

So needless to say, galas, fujis, granny smith, et.al. are limited in their inclusion of Project Discovery. That is if I still want anyone standing within a 20 foot radius of me. An apple a day, keeps the doctor away, but two or more may keep everyone away!