Monday, February 12, 2007

Obsession

Joe knows it, although he will not speak openly about it. Brian called it out years ago. Andrea is coming to understand it. I have an obsessive personality.

It's not the type of obsessive personality that will succumb to the blackness of substance abuse, but one that clings to impulses tightly. Rarely does my brain flirt with a passing interest, it jumps in fully. Whatever the situation may be, if it really touches my interest, I am there obsessively. Drawing? Tons of art classes in college. Writing music? Egads the hours spent over a four-track! This blog? You're probably wishing you didn't know me right about now!

Thus it is with my weight control and Project Discovery.

There are actually several reasons why I am concerned, er, passionate, uh, obsessive about my weight. The first is I have borderline high blood pressure. A gift from my mother's side of the family. Secondly, I feel better about myself both emotionally and physically. Dragging that extra eight pounds around on a bike is tough!!! (Just as an aside note, I will not do anything damaging to myself for weight loss. That whole binge/purge thing...nope not for me. Even a vurp kind of grosses me out...)

The last, and probably the silliest of the reasons, is that gaining weight is the one thing I can have tangible control of when advancing in my days. Yeah, I know there are hair dyes, cosmetic surgeries, the Hair Club For Men, etc., however weight control seems the most natural. Something that I would not need to pay someone else to change, or stop the change, in me. If I don't gain weight, it means I am not getting older.

Graying?...I think I would look kind of cool in silver!

Hey Captain Picard looked handsome with a bald skull!
Anyhow, I think I may grow the Mother of All Comb-Overs.

Okay, maybe the big bags wouldn't be so good.
But I could live with a few wrinkles...

What I'm trying to say is that other stuff I cannot control each day by myself. But weight/fat loss? That's definitely within my grasp. Look out here comes that skinny, wrinkled guy with the graying comb-over zooming by on his bicycle!!!