Saturday, February 10, 2007

A Warm Cup O' Coffee

I have never been one to readily seek out cycling clubs. Yes, I love being on a bike. Yes, mountain biking with my best friends, Joe and Shawn, is awesome. Yet those times with Joe and Shawn seem to come with less and less frequency. Okay, I admit it, it probably, nah, it is my fault why they don't happen very often anymore. But I always seem to struggle with maintaining any semblance of time management when it comes to my bicycling schedule.

I guess that is one of the deeper reasons I love cycling so much. I can enjoy my two-wheeled adventures without relying on anyone. Just my trusty metal steed and I. I never need to arrange a play-date with anyone to get out the door and moving.

Unfortunately there is a dark side to my solo efforts. When I do not have a cycling "date", there always seem to be a little devil sitting on my shoulder whispering into my ear, "Neil...the Lycra is too tight, wouldn't you like to just sit in front of the television, Hoovering in potato chips?"

Yeah, yeah, once I get on my bike it's marvelous, but sweet gorilla of Manila (thank you Hermes Conrad of Futurama) that little devil talks with a sweet tongue!

Today it's raining in the South Bay. It's kind of cold. I love it! This is awesome cycling weather! No really, I love cycling in the extremes. Rain, snow, heat, it's all good! Yet for all my bicycling desires, there is Satan, planted on my shoulder trying to seduce me to the dark side.

"Come to the dark side Neil..."

"No Beelzebub, I need to ride! I love riding in the rain!"

"But, Neil, I have a warm cup o' coffee just for you...and you could catch cold. No one loves you like Satan...no one will notice that extra pound of fat...Neil, I am your father..."

Wait...wrong moment. Getting my Star Wars geek-hood mixed up with my bicycling fantasy.

Anyhow, here it is. 8 a.m. on Saturday, February 10, 2007. I have a warm cup of coffee in my hand. Staring out the window. I will go cycling, I will...


See?...I have cycled in the snow!
And it is Las Vegas of all places!!!