Monday, February 05, 2007

145 Baby!!!

Lately, as the months and years have added to my history, I have been spending more time on my road bike. I began as a mountain biker and still consider my mountain bike my first love. However, as time seems to be a commodity as rare as any precious gemstone, my road bike has seen my butt much more than my trusty mountain bike. These days, the hiss of my road tires are more common rather than the crunching sounds as I would roll over miles of lonely trails.

Yet one of the things I love about cycling, both road and mountain, is that I get to experience the landscape much more intimately than from my usual vantage point of my car. And although, walking or hiking really gives one an up-close view of the world, it is somewhat limiting, as one can only walk so far. So it's the bike for me!

As I now live in Silicon Valley, I am amazed at all the familiar names only known to me on my 17-inch flat screen. As I am not employed by the tech industry, it is curious to actually see their buildings as I go whizzing by on my bike. If you're part of the high-tech industry, you probably would shrug your shoulders and wonder what the big fuss is about. But I find it quite astounding that the I live in one of the centers of the tech world.

Yahoo-oo-oo!!!

And it's not just computers down here!

I was only able to get a photo of Lockheed-Martin Way, as I was hesitant about sneaking by the guard gate in my Lycra. Egads, the thought of being thrown in jail while wearing my skin tight cycling shorts. By the way, my training route takes me along Java Road...yes, that Java.

So why do I cycle? Yes it can be painful and sometimes it can get discouraging when I am miles away from home and the only thing getting me back are my tired legs. But there is something magical about my bikes. Enlivening. Nothing frees me like my bicycles. And...

...Cycling also adds (or should I say subtracts?) to this!


Yes, Project Discovery was a success...barely, but I still made it. I can officially say, it's now on to 2007. Maintaining my weight and moving on to the second phase of Project Discovery, shrinking my percentage of fat. I'll get more into that later, but right now, baby I'm at 145!