Monday, February 19, 2007

The Belly Pinch

The belly pinch usually comes first, and it is often employed under the guise of a handshake delivered by a rival, a teammate, or a coach. The purpose is to measure body fat. The preferred technique is to smile broadly - hey there, you old so-and-so - grasp their target's hand and tug them forward in a teasing manner, twisting their bodies slightly to grant access to their unprotected midsection, on the side, just above the waistline.
-Lance Armstrong's War
Daniel Coyle

This is how it started, my little nervous tick. I pinched myself to feel my fat fold. That was the impetus for Project Discovery. The fact that I was pinching way too much fat and too little skin. To this day, I find myself unconsciously pinching my midsection, reminding my subconscious of what fat remains.

The fortunate thing is that I do enjoy some of the blander "nutritious" foods that this lifestyle has needed. Tofu...mmm-mmm...love the tofu. Nothing like a cold block of soybean to make one's lunch complete! No seriously, I do try to eat a block of tofu once or twice a week. And I really do enjoy it! I think deep down I feel like I'm doing something good for my body.

Luckily like most men, I have been able to shed pounds somewhat easily. Sorry ladies, but that's the cold hard truth. Men have an easier time with weight loss. However, like all people, I seem to be having a more difficult time with the fat loss. Specifically, lowering my fat percentage. I wonder if it is because I have lost weight, therefore there is less of me, so the fat percentage remains status quo? Hmmm...

C'mon 15% body fat...
Did anyone check out the Tour of California this past Sunday? I caught it on Versus (the channel formely known as OLN.) It was great to see Phil, Paul and Bob calling the race again. It seems like an eternity since Le Tour.

Levi Leipheimer won the prologue for a second year running, but the stunning news was a total unknown Jason Donald, Team Slipstream, posted the second fastest time. He bested the premier professionals in the world!!! This was probably the zenith in his cycling career (sorry, I calls 'em like I seez 'em!) But what a stage to produce an amazing result. And I love that P,P&B are calling the Tour of California as the kick off to the racing season! Very cool!