Monday, February 26, 2007

Psycho Tooth Fairy

Hanging on the wall in my office is a drawing by Brandon. It was done several years ago; it is a portrait of a tooth fairy. In my opinion, it is a somewhat odd, yet charming tooth fairy. I can even say that it is a little scary. Its brown eyes are wide open, perhaps from too much caffeine to keep it up those late nights of harvesting discarded teeth. Its right leg, a peg leg from a run in with someone's nasty pet dog no doubt. Upon its head sits a golden yellow crown, jagged points reaching towards the heavens.

Little did Brandon know that this psycho tooth fairy would be visiting him tomorrow.

Although I need to be the strong one, I must admit that I have feelings of trepidation. Brandon goes in for oral surgery in the morning and there is nothing I can really do to calm his fears. It seems like only yesterday that he had the perfect Colgate smile, and now there is a dentist who is prepared to cut into his gums to remove a rogue tooth buried beneath.

Unfortunately as time passed his teeth migrated greatly and soon, I am sad to say, Brandon had a smile that would make a Jack-O-Lantern proud. Like I said Brandon has a mystery tooth that is embedded under his gums that is preventing his last adult tooth from dropping. This has wreaked havoc among his pearly whites.

I must admit, I'm nervous. No one wants to see their child subjected to anesthesia or cut open. Even if it is only minor oral surgery. I don't want Brandon to be scared. I want him to look into my eyes and only see confidence, that it's no big deal and everything will be all right. But can I do it without my concern for his well-being betraying me?

Dear Lord let tomorrow morning go quickly for my pal...