Sunday, April 29, 2007

More Guilty Pleasures

You know you have them. We all try to show our intelligence by droning on and on about a foreign film involving a dog, an orphan and an umbrella. Yet, we secretly pop our popcorn and watch in delight at that Sandler comedy, or a sci-fi explosion of computer graphics, or the films that utter, "Do ya feel lucky punk?..."

I was flipping through the channels when I came upon this film. Busy folding fresh out of the dryer clothes, I initially did not pay much attention to it. It was in the middle of the movie so I did not quickly get what the plot was. Suddenly two cars were screeching through a multi-level garage! Now how could I resist the sight of two very cool looking cars getting sideways as they circled their way up this garage?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift...

Here's what you need to know. This is the third installment of the Fast and Furious franchise. It's about a teenager who gets in trouble racing in America and to stay out of jail he is sent to live with his father in Tokyo. In Japan he ends up involved in drift racing and soon becomes an enemy with a guy with connections to the Yakuza. Unfortunately our hero also falls for the antagonist's girl friend. Soon they are racing to decide who will leave town for good. Hero wins, bad guy is banished from Tokyo.

Yup...that's about it. Oh yeah, I could see that Tokyo Drift was definitely based in reality. Yet, I could not take my eyes off of it. Fast cars, the bright lights of Tokyo (definitely played up in the film!)...I barely noticed all the scantily clad females! Really Andrea, barely noticed...

The fall out of Tokyo Drift is that I seem to be flooring it a little more often in the trusty Xterra. The curves of highway 17 through the Santa Cruz mountains are carved with a little more speed. I can see parents' concern over this film, as the action, other than the crashing, mangling, and dying parts, looked kind of fun! Boys and their toys.

Oh yes, after viewing Tokyo Drift, I put on Au Revoir, Les Enfant to confirm my sophistication and intelligence. Uh, yeah, that's what happened, right after the ninth viewing of cars screeching and crashing.

All I can say is, buckle up Soraya and Brandon and hold on tight!