Thursday, April 05, 2007

44 And Getting Younger

To me, this was just another day. Yeah, yeah...44 years ago I was brought into this world. From what I understand it was after several false alarms and trips to the hospital. Throughout the day, those around me kept trying to remind me of the passage of time and I truly did appreciate it. (Well, maybe everyone except Brian who gleefully reminds me each year at this time, that we're the same age until late August.) But as I've grown older, I have become to enjoy it as a day of solitude and reflection.

I love celebrating others' birthdays. Mine?...it's just another day. Granted, I try to do little things for me. That's how I like to celebrate, or more like recognize. I don't want anyone to buy me anything as I am not a big believer in receiving gifts for me. Giving...cool. Receiving...I'll pass.

Two great loves of my life...
Mountain biking
Wilder Ranch's eucalyptus grove

My big gift to me was I went for a mountain bike ride in my favorite place, Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz. Although this park does not have the most challenging trails, it is what is truly great about mountain biking. Beautiful narrow trails through the redwoods, the ocean air filling my lungs, a red tailed hawk circling low above me...perfect.

At the top of the trail is a eucalyptus grove. These meager bunch of trees overlook the mighty Pacific. On quiet days the distant roar of the crashing waves can be heard echoing through the canyon below. This is where my ashes will some day be scattered. Although illegal...hey someone risk it and dump charcoal-Neil here later...okay?

Go ahead Joe...no one will ever know...

As I zipped through the Santa Cruz mountain forest on my bike, I felt an odd sensation. The calendar tells me that I'm older, yet I still feel like I'm years younger. The mirror doesn't lie, but how come the heart and the mind do?

Interesting...but all in all it was a good day...

For Brian...
Ha!!! 44 my butt!!!
This photo has been edited for your television screen.
My censor felt the original was too risque!